Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Friday, June 02, 2006

Bees huddling in the rain

Last night the heavens opened up and rain poured with no light shower preview and no warning. I looked out to see how the bee beards were faring. As I watched the bees who were clustered on Destin fell to the porch in clumps.

When they cluster like this last little group is doing, they cling to each others' legs. Wonder how they decide to let go? You do it! No, you let go first! Clumps the size of the palm of my hand fell to the front porch, let go of each other and went in out of the rain.

The cluster in this picture remained this way throughout the storm. They were somewhat protected by the cut out hand grip and the telescoping cover. I went out this morning expecting to find dead bees all over the deck, but there were no more than usual (4 - 6) scattered over the deck where the mortician bees had dragged them and there were 2 dead on the landing area of the hive. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...