Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Free Bees in Dallas, GA for Jeff's First Swarm Capture

Greg has a friend in Dallas, GA who called to report a swarm of bees in the yard of a rental house he owns.  Greg was going to be tied up this morning.  At a recent MABA meeting, Mickey Anderson, a club member who used to work for Rossman Bees, talked to the bee club about how a swarm will leave for its new home, chosen by the scout bees, usually between 10AM and 2PM.  If the swarm is still hanging after 2, then it probably won't go anywhere that day.

So Jeff and I went to get the bees without Greg so that they wouldn't relocate after 10 AM.  Dallas is about an hour's drive from my house in Atlanta.  Trusting our phone's navigation systems and my GPS, we eventually found the place and got the bees.

They are Greg's bees so they will go to our business in south Georgia, replacing one of our lost hives.

Here's the slide show which is a pretty good representation of how to capture a swarm. Many thanks to Ryan who shot pictures while we did the collection. Be sure to click on the slides to be able to see everything (and the captions for the pictures) full screen.




10 comments:

  1. Very nice slide show. Gave me some tips for the next time I capture a swarm. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny7:25 AM

    Terrific slide show-- so clearly showing all steps, a picture perfect swarm capture. What a pretty swarm!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Great explanation of the process!

    About the "markings" positioned on the hive.

    Can markings be put on an existing hive? or does it have to be a new hive? I ask this because I wonder if the bees will be distracted with the new markings. thank you, Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any time you make a change in a hive - for example, move it to a new location, change the direction of the entrance, etc., typically you put leaves or branches on the entry to the hive to make the bees reorient to the hive. If you put markings on the hive box at any time, the bees will simply say, "Oh, something new, need to notice this for coming home." So no worries and do it any time. My hives at home are so close together right now that I want the hives to be distinguished from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were practically in my backyard, Linda! Thank you for this presentation. Very nicely done!

    (I am the other Linda who contacted you just recently.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:36 PM

    Linda,

    I have noticed you have shown the use of bottle caps in Jeffs first swarm photos https://picasaweb.google.com/116748370159747164350/JeffSFirstSwarm?authkey=Gv1sRgCP7ij66J39vHFA&feat=flashalbum#5609238810131148482

    In Australia we do not use such tops but I am keen to understand why and how you use them, if you are able to comment or direct to a resource that would be appreciated.

    In Queensland we generally use migratory lids and for our very brief winter use telescopic lids.

    thanks
    fergus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:48 PM

    Linda,
    We've just bought a 1/2 acre property in the Dallas, GA area. About 1/2 of the property is wooded and has a running stream going through it. We would like to support the bee population in the Dallas, GA area. However, we do not want to maintain a hive ourselves. So, we would like invite a beekeeper to set up their hive on our property. Is their a local beekeeping club we could contact to talk to about this. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I have a question re: catching swarms. Why cant someone just use a new hive and put a commercial swarm lure pad inside? I have a deck about 12' high between two trees. Why not just put the lure and a hive there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can put a new hive on a deck with swarm lure inside. I always catch at least one swarm a year that moves into old equipment. The key there, though, is "old." The bees are drawn to the smell of old comb, old equipment. It tells them, "Bees have been here," and they are more likely to move into old than new. If you are going to use new equipment as a swarm lure, see if you can get an experienced beekeeper to give you an old frame or two. Rub the tops of the frames, the entry landing and around the inner cover with swarm lure or lemongrass oil, or Pledge to add to the allure of the location.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...