Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Blue Heron Phase Two Installation of the Nucs

Today we installed the nucs into their hive boxes. It's all in this slide show. Julia brought hive boxes that she had painted in both an educational and artistic way - perfect for the setting at Blue Heron. Be sure to notice them.

We also took probably more slides than you want to see because we really wanted to document the move from the nuc into the hive box as well as how to set up a baggie feeder which we did on both hives.

Click on the slide show below to see it full sized. You can also use the bottom of the slide show screen to say how long you'd like to view each slide. There are captions for each slide.

Enjoy!


9 comments:

  1. I have a funny question for you...do you ever get scared? I would be scared but I'm allergic to bees so I kind of need to be scared :) You look so calm in all the pictures. I love the painted hives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not really. I feel anxious when a bee gets under my veil and do usually move far away from the hive and try to get her out, but I don't feel scared. I was scared when I first did this, but now I know that even if I get stung which rarely happens, the hurt goes away and I've developed a tolerance to the sting so it doesn't bother me long. Beesuits are designed to protect the beekeeper and really all those bees all over us and none of us got stung today and I wasn't wearing good gloves--just thin nitrile ones so I could take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LindaT, What a fine service! Your new bee suit looks great. How is the view through the screen??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The view is fine, but the head part has a sort of around the head band that is fastened by velcro and I didn't adjust it ahead of time, so I need to make that fit me for the suit to be perfect. It kept slipping into my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda

    It's Chi from London again. Great photos, very informative. Thank you for showing them. I can't wait for my nuc of bees, which sadly won't be till May.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:21 PM

    Love your site. Have added it to my favorites as I'll be checking in from time to time. Found you looking for hive beetle traps. Great info and very helpful instructions with video and photos. Thanks for all the time you put in to share this with us. Thank you. Sincerely, Gina Lanier

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:56 AM

    We picked up our 2 nucs and got home very late in the morning (2:00). We have them stored in our garage and will take them to the land today for installation. It is now 9:00 am and we are just getting up and am wondering- should I wait till evening to install? what is the best time of day to do this? THought I had it all figured out till I had bees in hand and now feel like "what in the world have Igotten myself in!!!"


    Thanks so much for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can install them at any time. If you are putting them on land where they haven't been before, be sure to put some leaves or branches across the entrance - not too big for them to move but enough to force them to re-orient to the new place. It's easier to do an installation early in the day - mostly because it's not so hot, but I don't think it really matters. If you move bees, you move them at night so that all of the foragers are most likely in the hive. With yours in the garage, I assume they can't leave the hive to forage and the sooner you install them and open them up, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:22 AM

    cool

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...