Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Making Creamed Honey

One of my favorite talks at Young Harris was a demonstration by Keith and Rosanne Fielder on how to make creamed honey.  I had some honey in Atlanta that had crystallized over the winter, so I couldn't wait to get home to try doing this myself.

Keith said that the honey judge looks for two things in tasting creamed honey:  they push the honey against the roof of their mouth with their tongue and do not want to feel any crystals.  Also they push the honey between their upper and lower front teeth with the same goal:  not to feel any crystals.  Keith had some of his own creamed honey there for us to taste - as always, he is super at it - I don't think mine will ever taste as good as his did.

To make creamed honey by the Dyce method, first you need a "seed" honey.  This would be a honey that is creamed that you buy or have saved from a previous batch of your own.  I bought some German creamed honey at Whole Foods that is smooth (like the judges want) and tastes really good.  I also like the taste of my crystallizing honey - it's a little sharp as my mid summer honeys tend to be, probably informed by tulip poplar.

Keith said that we could flavor the honey with flavoring oils but I like honey to taste like honey so I didn't do that.  He said that cinnamon is a popular flavor with his customers.

Creamed honey is supposed to be jarred in clear, straight-sided jars with solid tops (not two piece canning tops).  I had none of these and spent a whopping $2.50 per jar to buy some at the Container store.

Here are pictures of the process - the captions give you the directions (click on the little quotation symbol on the lower left to see the captions).

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful Linda. Everyone I've heard that makes creamed honey says it's easy. It is on by 'bucket list' to try.

    I'm interested in the Master Beekeeper course - is it an online course or in class in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the Master Beekeeper class at Young Harris Beekeeping Institute which is run by UGA and Young Harris College - it serves GA, AL, TN and NC. EAS also offers a Master Beekeeper class in August in Boone, NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great, thank you, I've been wondering how creamed honey was made. I will try that when I have some chrystallized honey. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yum! How does it differ in taste to regular honey?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:39 AM

    Linda it has been very interesting seeing your photos of the process. After you finished making it did you have to control the temperature it was left in to 55F until it had recrystallised into creamed honey or did it work without worrying about temperature?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just put it in the refrigerator and left it there. It took about six weeks to complete the process of crystallization. Mostly after that I left it in the fridge, but it will remain crystallized without the refrigeration once the process is complete. Under HOT conditions, the honey can re-liquify.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...