Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Monday, March 31, 2008

Heifer Hope Honey

Years ago when I was a Girl Scout leader, my co-leader had the idea that our girls, who had everything in the world they needed, might be more appreciative of what they had if they learned about how others in the world are doing without enough food, etc. So we worked on a project through Heifer International to give pregnant goats to families in Haiti. The girls were fascinated learning that goats frequently have twins, so when we donated a pregnant goat to a family, the family in all likelihood would receive three goats - the mom and her twins.

I've always remembered the impact of that project. So at the holidays I like to give presents to my nieces and nephews that represent helping other people. For the last few years, I have given them a gift from the Heifer Project. Now that I am a beekeeper, I give them a gift of bees

This picture is from the Heifer Project web page

The Heifer Project takes the money I give in my relatives' names and provides a hive of bees, one for each niece and nephew, to families in countries around the world. The family then is taught by the Heifer Project about beekeeping. I love that the Heifer Project gifts include the obligation of the family to pass the gift on to others in their village.

Here is what they say at the beginning of the page about honeybees: "From Uganda to El Salvador, bees from Heifer International help struggling families earn income through the sale of honey, beeswax and pollen."

Today I got an email from the Heifer Project about the sale of honey from these bee projects around the world. You can learn about
Heifer Honey and how to purchase it. What a worthwhile project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...