Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Lengths to Which a Beekeeper Will Go!

I was in Rabun county for the weekend and it rained like cats and dogs. One of my goals for my trip up to the mountains was to check on the hive at the Rabun community garden. Finally on Sunday morning we woke up to a gorgeous, sun-filled day. I brought a smoker to use on the hive since they have not been peaceful bees. But any possible fuel, i.e., pine needles, near my house was soaking wet.

I went out and gathered pine needles. My daughter suggested we dry it in a 250 oven. I set the oven up, put the pine needles on a cookies sheet and after about 20 minutes of drying, the pine straw was ready to go. I bought a new smoker for Rabun County so I could always have one up there.



The smoker, filled with oven-dried pine needles, lit beautifully and the hive was full of bees flying in and out in the sunlight. Some kind soul in the community garden group had weed whacked a path for me to the hives.



Inside the hive I found the bees to be busy, busy, busy. They were collecting nectar in the second box. You can see a picture below. Asters and members of the aster family are blooming all over Rabun county.



This hive is light and not nearly supplied well enough to make it through the winter. I decided to hold off on feeding them until I see how much honey they put up from the fall aster flow.



This plant had been cut down near the garden and the bees were all over it.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Great photos Linda. I never get tired of viewing shots of hives, bees and bees on flowers. And toasted pine needles.... yum!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...