Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Saturday, May 11, 2013

What to Study for Journeyman in Georgia

Many apologies to the man who asked me a question at Young Harris today at the lunch break.  We were leaving the cafeteria and this man came up to me and asked me a question that I failed to answer well.  I thought he asked me where on my blog could he read about how to be an advanced beekeeper.

He did ask something about books he could read and I answered that the blog included a bookstore with books that I recommend.  Then I said since I had gone through a lot of changes since I started, I guess he could just read the blog entries.

When we walked away, Noah said what the man was really asking was what books to study for the Journeyman exam.  I feel so bad that I didn't respond to or understand what he was asking.

So if I had a chance to do it over (and if he happens to visit this blog), here's what I would study for Journeyman if I were taking it next year:


  • I'd read from cover to cover Mark Winston's The Biology of the Honey Bee
  • I'd read Honey Bee Democracy by Tom Seeley - not because swarm behavior is essential to the test but because in the process of explaining swarm behavior, Dr. Seeley covers a lot of the new knowledge about bees today. 
  • I'd read Delaplane's First Lessons in Beekeeping since it's the official text 
  • I'd go to EAS or another professional bee meeting this year and listen to the featured speakers rather than to what I thought would be fun to hear
  • I'd learn everything I could about queens, their biology and behavior
  • Even though I'd hate every minute of it, I'd learn everything I could about diseases - causes and treatments
  • I'd study the bee catalogs because they always put some weird instrument or another on the practical exam
  • And I'd study insects of other species than apis mellifera because I would know I'd have to identify a number of them! (and on that item you have to get 100% right)
Sorry, nice man, that I misunderstood what you were asking.  Hope if you read this, that it helps.

3 comments:

  1. Linda,

    You are SUCH a gracious person!

    I am that man who asked you this question after lunch at Young Harris today. And you have ALREADY posted your answer -- even though you must be tired after a demanding two-day workshop! Imagine my surprise when I visited your blog today and saw your complete answer to what I was seeking!

    I have already read Delaplane's book and will read Seeley's book -- and will get Winston's soon.

    I highly commend your blog to anyone who is interested in becoming a serious, advanced beekeeper; and I will gladly donate to your site very soon.

    Thanks and congratulations, too, to Noah for his great accomplishment!! I began keeping bees 15 years before he was born -- and here he is, a Master Beekeeper!

    Your class Friday, Linda, at Young Harris on "Low-Tech Beekeeping" was great. I can't tell you how helpful your blog has been to me!

    Keep up the good work and God bless you!

    Roger Senechal
    Joelton, TN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:39 PM

      Take a look here too--there's a study guide.
      http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/master-beekeeper/JourneymanStudyGuide.html
      Especially the insect id links at the bottom

      Delete
  2. Hi Roger, I'm so glad you found this - now my guilt is assuaged! I do think the UGA link is of course crucial to read and follow so thanks to Anonymous for putting it up as well. I took that as a given but should have put it in the body of the post. Nice to meet you and I hope to see you at Young Harris taking the Journeyman exam next year!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...