Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Monday, June 22, 2015

Mark Winston's Manifesto

I was lucky enough to hear Mark Winston in the spring of 2014.  He is the author of the Biology of the Honey Bee that I and many others studied for Master Beekeeper.  He writes essays on his blog and his essay today just blew my mind.

Please go and read every single word of it.

I hope to have the opportunity to hear him in person again soon.  He has some good YouTube videos:





1 comment:

  1. I like it. I like how much he's referring to the bigger picture. Not quite as radical as I would have been on not treating, but close. I've found it amazing that beekeepers, who used to be very much environmentalists back in the 70's have jumped on the chemical treadmill that all us beekeepers used to rant about. We used to be the most anti-pesticide group in the world and when Varroa arrived everyone jumped right off the bandwagon. It should be sobering that an environment that used to support so many bees that beekepers in the early 1900s were arguing if there were any limitations on how many hives could be in one place, can now support at most about 40 hives in most places. Our environment is changing and not in a way that supports more life.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...