Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Monday, January 04, 2016

Happy Bee Year 2016 - It's Finally Cold

In Atlanta, it is finally cold and the bees are clustering (and hopefully alive). They have had countless days to fly. As is typical of January in the south, there are some blooming plants so the bees can find pollen and some nectar from outliers like Fatsia Japonica:






As I walked the dog, I saw camellia in bloom and the bees are often on it. Unlike the day I took the photos above, the day I shot the camellia was too cold for bees, but here is the camellia anyway:


While my own rosemary is not in bloom, I saw several rosemary varieties that were:


And although I didn't get its picture, mahonia is in bloom as well. I passed one in bloom while walking Hannah and thought, oh, I'll get the next one and there was no next one! Here's a photo of it from the Internet. When the bloom is finished, dark blue berries appear. The bees love the flowers and the birds love the berries - isn't nature grand!








3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you have feed at the ready as soon as the bees fly! Here in the rather frigid Pacific Northwest (just at freezing today, dipping below at nights), the rosemary in our herb garden has been in heavy bloom since September. Too cold for the bees, but not the rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we've had warm days and the bees were flying here there weren't any flowers for them. I put out a couple of plates of fruit puree for them one day and it was gone by night fall. At one point the plates were totally covered in bees :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...