Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Phase Two, Swarm Two

Well, I returned at sunset to find NO bees in the box and all of the bees clumped not on the sheet but on the ground. Obviously I had left the queen on the ground and never got her in the box. So the bees, as one would expect, joined her.

Now the neighbors on both sides of the fence were watching me through their back windows while I struggled with this problem. I turned the box on its side near the bees on the ground. I took the extra piece of cardboard and scraped the pile of bees into the box, hoping that the queen was included. She must have been because the bees began moving in a rather orderly way into the box.
Here they are up close and personal. I used the sheet, the cardboard piece, and my yellow bee brush to aid me in getting the bees in the box. It was tedious, and the sun had already set, so I had to get the job finished and take the bees away. I even went back to the car to get a magazine to give me yet another something to slide ground bees onto. By 8:45 PM all the bees were in the box. I closed it and taped it closed with duct tape.

Before I went back to pick up this swarm, I really studied my bees on my deck. I don't have room for this swarm. I had fun getting it (except for the getting stung part), but I do not need this hive.

I looked at the bee club member list and found the number for my friend Nicky. When I first got my bees she was kind enough to come over and help me to do my first inspection. I have always wanted to do something for her to say thank you.....so I called Nicky. She said that she had had five hives but had lost four of them over the winter. She would be thrilled to have these bees. So as the day ended I delivered these boxed up bees to Nicky's house where she will install them in a hive box. I hope they thrive and that she has fun with them.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:42 PM

    So....being that you captured the swarm....will Nicky give you some rights to the bees wax? I have a vested interest in these bees! My hands NEED Linda T's Bees Hand Lotion!(and lip balm). Just kidding (on the right to the bees wax...not on the fact that my hands and lips survival are dependant on your bees wax production ;) ). So your running tally of swarm captures is at 3 in just a few days!?!? Nice work Aunt Linda! Thanks so much again for everything! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome that you caught a swarm and gave it to a fellow beekeeper! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...