Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Bee Gum - an Old South Expression

Bee Gum is a hollow tree log in which a beehive resides. It's a term more common to the Southeast. It originated because often gum trees were hollow, making it a natural place to hive bees.

The bees at Odd Job could be called bees in a bee gum, although the tree is an oak.

Beegum Gap is a part of the trail up to Rabun Bald, the second highest point in Georgia and I have been to Beegum Gap.

There's an interesting write-up in the Old Settlers Gazette about bees and beegums - it's only a couple of pages and worth reading - especially for the picture on the second page.

Here's a section of Bees in America that describes the bee gum.

Michael Bush on a post on Beesource says about moving the bees out of the bee gum into a box:
"If you can get them through to spring, THEN you can put a frame of brood and some empty drawn comb in the super and then drum and smoke them up into that box and then put an excluder in, you might trap the queen up in the super and the brood there may anchor the bees to take care of her. About a month later pull the log and split it open and steal the honey."

So I am going to say a mantra every time I drive over to Odd Job: "Move up, move up, move up." Who knows, maybe it will work!

2 comments:

  1. a great way to trick the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works Linda! That IS a neat trick!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...