Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

What a Honey Harvest We Will Have in Atlanta!

I'm not going to be able to get the top box off of Colony Square without a ladder! And the nectar keeps coming. The tulip poplar flow is long over but the bees are finding other sources - probably sourwood, sumac, mimosa, and garden flowers. It's amazing. The golden flow of bee bodies flying up into the air from the hives is going on when I wake up and still going on when I come home just before dark. Amazing year!

After two years of no honey harvest, this looks like a really good year.



In Lenox Pointe, the bees had not moved up into the empty top box although the box below it is full of burgeoning honey comb as you can glimpse in this picture.



So I moved two of the fat combs from the box above into positions 2 and 3 in the empty box below and put the box on the hive below a full box. We'll see if that works.



In the moving some honey leaked onto the inner cover. Who sends out the alarm, I wonder? Before you know it, there's a line of bees sucking it back up to return it to the hive. At the lower left of the picture, one bee is transferring what she just lapped up to the mouth of another bee! How do they get the message?



Meanwhile I also went over to Stonehurst and here's what the gorgeous honey looks like over there.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're going to get a great harvest this year Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are in Missouri as well. This is my second year, and first to get honey, but I can hardly keep up with all the supers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:47 PM

    Keep stacking those suppers. I'm hopeful that I will get a decent honey harvest this year too. With your new bee venture are you going to be using an extractor this year, or sticking with crush and strain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teena7:28 PM

    I've been following your blog for a while now...and just helped in a honey harvest this past weekend. I know you may have plenty of help, but if you need another person I would be happy to help you with the harvest.

    Teena Bare
    678-749-0018
    East Point, GA

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...