Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Survivor Miracle Maybe???

On Sunday after the robbery on Friday, I walked out of my basement door and noticed this nuc, sitting with four empty frames in it.  There were bees!  And no reason for them to be there.

I think these are the survivors from the robbed hive.  The queen is from Don Kuchenmeister and the bees are tough little small cell bees who should be able to make it.



Quick like a rabbit, I put the nuc up on bricks, gave it an inner cover and a top cover and added an empty nuc as a surround with a Boardman feeder full of honey in it.  I replaced the empty frames with drawn frames from what I think was their original hive, the robbed out one.

I also put two frames in the upper nuc with the Boardman (with a pint jar of honey) in between.  I think I should put those two frames side by side and will when I go back to it.



I didn't look for the queen, but the bees acted like a small swarm does.  I'll check for a queen in a couple of days.  Bees were orienting and flying in and out.



I reduced the entrance so that they would be safe while I'm off to the mountains to the Asheville conference.  I hope they'll make it.  I'm inclined to consider keeping them in the nuc for the winter if they can manage to get a hive going.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. So cool :) What wonderful creatures they are.

    I'm Cally, from New Zealand, and a very small time hobbyist (3 hives)and I have been enjoying following your blog for ages: thank you for sharing your bee-world with the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:29 PM

    That is so great Linda! I hope they stick around and become a successful hive for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. If I feel brave tomorrow morning I have some time to go into the nuc and visit the queen and see if she is functioning or if she were injured in the robbery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very happy to hear this! thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:08 PM

    Apiarists have so much hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too much hope in this case. When I returned from the mountains, the bees in the nuc had eaten half of the jar of honey I left them and were gone. I guess they tanked up and headed for a better place. There was still a handful of bees in the hive - about 30 - I imagine they were foragers out when the group left for parts unknown.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...