As Billy Davis would say, the queen cell looked "medium biscuit" in color which means it was about midway through its development. So I expected the queen to emerge within a week. But I left the hive alone, except for giving it honey to eat in a Boardman feeder inside the hive.
On Thursday I opened the nuc to look at the work of the queen for the first time. Notice the make-shift entrance reducer! Jeff is making us some better ones. I have had no confidence in my ability to make a nuc - have never done it successfully - but this year every one I have made is a success.
The queen was laying and so eager, that she was laying in barely drawn comb. If you click to enlarge either photo below, you'll see an egg in every cell:
The nuc had eaten all of the honey I had provided in the Boardman Feeder, so when I was confident that the queen was there and doing well, I went inside to fill a jar from some honey I had crushed from a deadout.
I filled the jar and then, to my horror, dropped the jar and broke it to smithereens on the rug in my basement honey harvest area. I took the broken jar and honey out to put it where the bees in my apiary could clean it up:
How I left it was how it looked above. This afternoon (one day later) when I arrived home, this is what the rug looked like:
All the bees left was the glass!
Since on Thursday when the jar broke, I was leaving for Rabun County before I could crush any more of last year's honey, I gave the bees a jar of local, but commercial honey.
I'm embarrassed to be feeding them commercial honey, but I wanted you to see what it looks like to use the Boardman as an interior feeder in a nuc.
Depending on the weather, I'll either take this hive to Chastain on Monday or Tuesday morning. I'll also take a frame of brood and eggs to put into the drone layer hive now over there to help the bees begin to address their ineffective queen problem.