Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Saturday, May 05, 2012

Location, Location, Location: What a Difference a Zip Code Makes

My hives in my Atlanta locations: 30342, 30306, 30316 are thriving.  I have honey boxes on all of the overwintered hives, sometimes stacking up to seven boxes.  The new hives are rocking along as well, with most now up to three boxes on the hives.

My hives in Clayton (30568) are a different story.  The nectar flow in Rabun County about 120 miles north is about a month behind Atlanta.  So these hives are really moving slowly.

A lazy spider has the luxury of creating her abode under the top cover of the Rabun Blue hive.



That hive hasn't drawn out the box I gave it on the 20th of April.  I adjusted a few things but didn't add a box although I had one with me for that purpose.



The frames in the top two boxes that were being used were filled with nectar, which is a good sing, but none of it capped as it would be in Atlanta.



The green swarm hive in Rabun is drawing that pretty yellow wax I frequently see in hives in Rabun at this time of year.  And they are raising brood and growing.  But they, too, didn't need any more space.




By the way, I think this swarm came from a feral hive that lives in this old abandoned school that is on the edge of the meadow where the community garden is.  I've shown pictures of this hive before.  I walked over to look at it on Thursday when I was there, and they were still busy as bees.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    I would like to set up a hive in my back yard. I have jasmine and ligustrum with no bees on them. Do you set up boxes for individuals and teach on the spot?
    Suzan
    zip 30062 - North east Cobb Co.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...