Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Beautiful capped honey


When I inspected the bees today, I found beautiful capped honey. The first super was full with about 45 % of the honey capped. When the frames in the super are completely capped, I can remove the super and finally taste the honey that my bees are making.

The second picture is of the uncapped honey. It is really dark. We just ended the tulip poplar
flow and that honey is a darker honey. I'd like to think the bees are happy with their work, but mostly they were irritated with me for disrupting their day and intruding into their house!

So far when I work on the bees, I always wear my suit, complete with veil and gloves. I haven't been stung yet but I'm sure the day is coming. My little dog Haley has been stung twice now by bees that come into my house unbeknownst to me after I've worked on the bees. She got curious and pushed a bee around with her paw and the bee gave up her life to show Haley how mad she was about that treatment.Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Hey Linda,

    Welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping. Nice frame of capped honey you have.

    Last year someone gave me an Italian hive that hadn't been worked for a decade, so I've been nursing it back to health.

    This year purchased packages and nucs for 7 hives (2 Italians, 4 Buckfast F1s, and 1 Russian).

    I have found my two Italian hives in suburbia (Baton Rouge, LA) produce a bounty of honey and cut comb compared to my outyard in rural Slidell (north of New Orleans). End of the month I have to move 6 hives to my new outyard closer to home with more floral sources. Of course it will be a solo job with no help from my friends.

    Another good honeybee forum you will find of interest is Beesource: http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimatebb.cgi?action=intro

    Happy Beekeeping!

    James

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...