Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Preparing to rob the bees!


This is a very busy month for me - I keep looking at the beehives and wishing I could open them up and get the honey....but I'm teaching at Emory right now in a compressed semester that ends at the end of August and I haven't had a weekend at home to open the hives.

This weekend is the moment. I'm home, I've graded the midterm exams and nothing is standing between me and the honey except perhaps the weather and of course, the bees!

I've bought Mason jars; a 17 inch pan to help me cut chunks of comb from the frames; several large plastic buckets; and a very special uncapping fork for the honey that I plan to strain.

The strainers arrived from Dadant this week and tomorrow and Saturday I plan to try to take the honey. I'll try to post step by step how it goes.

I've found a method used by Michael Bush to crush and strain some of the honey so tonight I plan to drill holes in one of my large plastic buckets.

OK, here's the plan:
1. I'm going to open the hives and find one of the filled and capped supers. I'm taking out to the hives a deep super (the only one I have left empty) and a beach towel.
2. I plan to remove the frames from the super one by one;
3. Shake the bees back into the hive and brush off any remaining bees;
4. Put the capped frame into the empty super and
5. Cover it quickly with the beach towel.


When I've removed the ten frames from the shallow, gotten them all to the empty super, and brushed off all bees, I plan to carry the beach towel covered super into the house and go to work.

Stay tuned and I'll let you know how it goes!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...