Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for nine years and now there are over 1200 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here. Along the way, I've passed a number of certification levels and am now a!
Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper.

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, October 22, 2006

End of Season Partially Filled Honey Supers


As a new beekeeper, I've discovered a new challenge. My bees left two supers with partially filled frames, one on each hive. The frames have enough honey in them to provide nice winter feeding for the bees but with the onset of cooler nights and days, the bees aren't interested in finishing the filling and capping of these supers. (And there's not much out there for nectar gathering to do so.)

The Beemaster experts (Michael Bush in particular) suggested that putting the supers with the partially filled frames above the inner cover would help.

The idea is that the bees then think this honey is outside of the hive and they move it down into the bottom two hive bodies (below the inner cover) to add to their stores for the winter.

I opened the hives for a quick moment before leaving for the mountains this weekend and did just that. I put the supers with the partially filled frames above the inner cover. You can see this by noticing the inch board (the inner cover) between the super and the medium hive body. To help I've drawn red arrows on the last picture in this post pointing to the inner cover.

Later this week when I have an opportunity, I'll see if the bees are doing their job of moving the honey.

My next challenge, which I'll post to the Beemaster's forum and put pictures up on this site, is to learn how to clean or whether to clean the frames that I used for crush and strain honey bottling.

The good news: While in the mountains this weekend I found an old double boiler in good shape at a fun junk store called the Sassy Chicken. This should be perfect for melting my wax this year - next year it's the solar wax melter's job! Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...