Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Remarkable Comb Building

I've been out of town since Thursday, so I didn't get to do a hive inspection this past weekend. My plane got back into Atlanta in time for me to inspect the hives quickly before I left for two appointments at my office at the end of the day. Amazing to see what I found!

Proteus and Mellona have had starter strips for two weeks at this point. In both hives the empty frames had been built out and they were working on the 10th frame in each hive. Below is the frame from Mellona closest to the center four nuc frames. You can see that it has been built out all the way to the bottom.


















Here are three of the starter strip frames from Mellona. They are hanging on the hive in the way they are in the hive box. In other words, the frame closest to the camera is the 10th frame. The second comb layer is the second from the edge and the third comb layer (almost to the frame bottom) is next to one of the frames from the originating nuc. Such beautiful comb they are building!


















This frame below is from Proteus, my strongest hive. Proteus was calmer today. No hive seemed particularly upset with my intrusion today, as a matter of fact. Maybe they are waiting for me to notice how well they are doing and to provide them with more building space. This frame is the 10th frame in Proteus. They have built it almost all the way down and are storing honey (made I'm sure from the syrup I have been providing) in the cells.

















This last picture is from Proteus. This is the frame closest to the nuc center. They have built it all the way to the bottom. There are drone cells all in the center top of this frame and at the very top is stored honey. Amazing how fast and furious these bees are working!

















Tonight I built the frames for the medium that will go on this hive and put in the starter strips. I freed the medium frames for Mellona in quite a process that I will describe in a later post. In the morning before I go to work, I'll put a medium on both Mellona and Proteus fitted with starter strips since they have more than met the guideline that they build out 80% of a box before the beekeeper provides more brood space.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...