Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for nine years and I began my 10th year of beekeeping in April 2015. Now there are about 1270 posts on this blog. . Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here. Along the way, I've passed a number of certification levels and am now a
Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. (678) 597-8443

Want to Pin this post?

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Bees and Sugar

After I reassured myself that Mellona had a functioning queen, I did a powdered sugar shake over the hive. I know I've posted lots of these types of pictures, but seeing the ghostly bees seems appropriate as Halloween approaches.

I also planned to add sugar syrup to both Mellona and Bermuda. It is so hard to get those screw tops off of the jars. When I finally got one of the tops off, the tiny holes were propolized. I took a toothpick and opened up the holes before refilling with sugar syrup.

I put a full quart of syrup in Mellona and about 3/4 quart in Bermuda (I ran out). I'll add more next weekend if need be.

In inspecting I pulled out a frame and it came apart on me. This is the third time this has happened during an inspection. I think the lesson for me is that I hammered my frames together but did NOT glue them. Probably had I glued the frames together as well as hammered them, then they would not be pulling apart.

Oh, well, live and learn.

Posted by Picasa


  1. Hi Lİnda, I am a beekeper from Turkey. I wonder did you take good results after powdered sugar fall down on bees. After shaking bees themselves, did you see increasing fell down varroas on the buttom board?
    Have a nice keeping
    Hayreddin Sakar Kirklareli Turkey


  2. Hi, a fellow beek hailing from NZ. I've enjoyed reading your blog for a while so thought I'd leave a comment :)

    Varroa hasn't made it this far south here yet, but it's on it's way so it's always good to see what people are doing to control it without chemicals.

    A tip on nailing your frames together - put the nails in at an angle like so - \ / ,instead of | | like you have them now - makes them a lot harder to pull apart. A quick dab of glue doesn't hurt either.

  3. I wish I had taken shop in High School, but no, in my generation girls took Home Ec. It makes so much sense to nail at an angle. When I am lifting the frame with the nails pounded in straight, obviously (at least now it is) the pull is always in the direction of pulling the nails out. OK - frame repairs coming up! Thanks, Paul.


Pin this post


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...