In this inspection at Blue Heron, we wanted to check on the progress of Julia's hive (started from a package in mid March) and to see if the even split of my hive had worked and resulted in two laying queens.
We found Julia's hive to be a little slow, but still up and running. We wondered about the bad weather (tornadoes and storms over the last few weeks) or if the location in the woodsy shade (better than the flood plain, but not ideal for bees) contributed to the slow start.
Linda's even split was a complete failure. Neither hive had a laying queen. We determined that we needed to combine the two hives later that afternoon after I had gone home and stolen frames of brood and eggs from Colony Square and Lenox Pointe.
To follow up, see tomorrow's post.....