Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Monday, November 07, 2011

Beehive at the White House


This past weekend, I met my daughter, Becky, in Washington, DC.  One of my wishes for the weekend was to take a photo of the White House beehive.  Of course, you can't get anywhere close to it, but we could from two fences away, see it and take its picture.  The location under a beautiful tree facing south is just lovely.



I'm glad they situated it where the public could get a glimpse of it.  I think everyone knows that there is a beehive at the White House because it has been in the news and because beekeeping magazines have featured it.  But when I've said to friends that I am going to take a picture of the beehive, they to a person, said, "There's a beehive at the White House?"



Below you can see it in relationship to the White House from the Ellipse.



Just to record that we came, Becky and I got someone to take our picture together.  The woman, who didn't know we were interested in the beehive was thrilled to tell us that she got us both with the White House just over our heads.  I, of course, was more excited that the beehive is over my right shoulder (very tiny!)


Here you can see the beehive on the right side and the vegetable garden it is supposed to be pollinating on the left side of the picture.



We also saw, I'm sure, White House bees, when we toured the US Botanic Garden.  There were bees on every blooming aster.



Here's a video about the beehive, posted in a comment by a reader below, but I thought you'd all like to see it as part of this post.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool! I didn't know about the Whitehouse beehive (but I live in Canada.) I will have to Google it. I think they should have more than one!

    The asters are beautiful. Ours are long dead to frost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it!! Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures. I knew about the Whitehouse beehive but hadn't seen it. On my trip to D.C. a few years ago I did see Whitehouse Honey with the Presidential seal on it and could kick myself for not taking a picture of that. It was not for sale, apparantly they give it away to special friends. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:48 AM

    Cool! Have you seen this video about the bees?
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/inside-white-house

    Hunters Hollow Honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing the video - I'm going to embed it in the post. I really appreciate the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda,

    Cool seeing the beehive. What do you think about blowing the bees off the honey frames?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of beekeepers blow the bees off - I think it's violent and I prefer to shake them off in the box. I guess the shake is sort of violent too but nothing compared to being blasted off with a leaf blower!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...