Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Meeting Michael Bush - I Can't Believe It!

When we arrived in Leominster, Massachusetts, for the NE Treatment Free Beekeeping Conference, here is the sign that greeted us!  It took us until Friday night to find the bar that was "accepting apps," but we were glad for the glass of wine that we bought there when we did finally locate it!




The conference was great in so many ways and I learned a lot, but I thought I'd post a few of the highlights (including the sign) tonight and then I'll post some of the content over the next week.

Sam Comfort talked about Warre hives and I was so entertained and learned a lot.  I knew nothing about Warre hives before I listened to him speak.

I had hoped we would also get some time with Sam in the beehives but it rained every day.  He is a wonder to watch as he works the bees with no protective gear and only a broad-brimmed hat.  I really wanted Noah to get to see Sam in action.  Sam told Noah that he drove his bees down to the conference inside his van - they are top bar and Warre hives - so they were not screened off.  Should have been quite an adventure.



Before we got there, Sam taught a workshop on how to build a skep.  Here is a skep that he built.  Some funny beekeeper equipped the skep with a head covering, sunglasses and a German smoker for a pipe!



But for me the highlight of the meeting was getting to meet Michael Bush in person.  I was so star struck that the first day, the best I could do was to introduce myself and essentially run back to my seat.  But the second day I got to chat with him some and got to eat dinner with him on our last night there - which was a privilege.

When I first started beekeeping, I wanted to be a natural beekeeper and found little support in my local bee club at that time seven years ago.  I went to the Internet for guidance and found Michael on Beemaster and Beesource.  He has been my model for how I'd like to keep bees from the beginning and he has always been willing to answer emails and questions I've posted on Beemaster and Beesource.  I've also learned from reading his website and posts in answer to questions from other people.

It is so rare to get to thank someone like that in person - Michael was every bit as nice in person as he is when he responds on the Internet to questions that he must have been asked 800 times.  I am absolutely thrilled that I got to meet him.

In the photo below, we are standing in front of a table filled with his books that he was selling at the meeting.  In addition to his own book, he has reprinted old beekeeping manuals from classic beekeepers.  I already own his book, so I bought his compendium of queen rearing guides.



Julia, Noah, and I had a great time at the conference and I came home more determined and informed about the importance of no treatment and the importance of raising hives that can fight the varroa mite without my intrusion.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Well that was really nice. Mr. Bush is the master and the guy I always turned to as well. Like you ran into most all beekeepers near me were not treatment free.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...