Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Bees Blooming in Bermuda

Today I got an email that a friend in my bee club has ordered two queens who will be arriving this weekend - she probably doesn't need them and wanted to know if anyone wanted them. I called her right away thinking that requeening Bermuda may help its recovery. She wondered why the hive was weak and I proferred my theory that the varroa mite had taken its toll over the winter. She wondered about unhealthy brood or what else might be wrong. She's coming to look at my hives on Saturday so she can help me think about the problem.

Meanwhile I had a 2 1/2 hour break in the middle of the day and came home to look at Bermuda. The number of bees in the hive has definitely increased since my last inspection of the brood area about 10 days ago. I took some pictures. In the first picture you can see well-capped brood and larvae uncapped in various stages of development. In the upper right quadrant you can see a bee with bright yellow pollen on her legs. She's at about 3:00 on the brood edge.

















I saw this larvae below with a definite Varroa mite on the larvae. See the little orange thing on the left of the C-shape of the larvae? That's a Varroa mite, happily developing with the bee.















I saw the queen (below with the white dot in the center of the picture). She is in the act of laying in this picture.

















If you click on the picture below, you can see in the lower part of the frame, brood in many stages of development. I do think this means that Bermuda is well on the way back. Granted, the queen is not covering the frames with brood - maybe an argument for requeening - but she is laying a good pattern and the bees are coming back. Currently the bees are all in one medium frame box.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:49 PM

    I came across a post on BeeSource (http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208609) that ended up talking about k-wing. I don't yet have any bees, so I don't know how common it is or at what level you should start to take notice of it. I noticed two bees in your first picture that may have a k-wing. I can't seem to find much more info about it except that it may be a sign of Tracheal Mites. It may also be completely normal, I don't know. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the bees to which you refer and have seen others - only a couple - with severely ragged and thus deformed wings. I have attributed it to Deformed Wing Virus carried by the Varroa mite. I didn't, however, treat for trachael mites because I have small hive beetles and the grease patty used to treat the trachael mite causes and explosion in the small hive beetles population. I'm hoping that the wing issue is a Varroa problem and that I will be able to address it both by moving to small cell as I will for this hive in the next box and by continuing 10 day powdered sugar shakes to groom the mites off of the bees.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...