Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rescued Bees are Hungry



I left a full quart jar of syrup on the nuc hive this morning after adding the second box. When I came home from work the jar was almost half empty and now at bedtime, it is half empty. I have another ready to go for tomorrow morning.

I'm going to the Georgia Beekeeping Association fall meeting in Rabun County this weekend and want these bees to remain fed. I think I'll leave with the Boardman with a full jar and remove a couple of frames in the top box and put two Boardman bottles of syrup inside the upper box of the hive as well so that they don't run out of food while I am gone.

On second thought, I have another deep nuc box - I can put it empty over the two hive boxes as a shim to surround the feeders and then put two Boardman feeders on top of the frames of the second box. That way the bees can continue to use the 10 medium frames available to them to build up and get ready for winter - and I won't need to worry about their having enough food while I'm gone.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:18 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:21 PM

    I have been a beekeepers since Aug 2008. I've been feeding the bees sugar water.

    I've tried several methods for feeding the bees, trying to prevent killing any.

    Here's a method that seems to work better at NOT killing bees when using a baggie; instead of cutting a slit, poke little holes.

    Using a 1 gal zip lock baggie filled with 1/2 gallon of sugar water: poke some small holes using something like a safety pin.

    Put an empty baggie in a 39 oz plastic ground coffee container (the ones that have handle) fill and seal the baggie, take this out to the hive, remove the top covers from the hive, remove the baggie from the coffee container, sweep the bees out of the way with the bottom of the baggie, being careful not to hurt them, rest the baggie on its side, poke holes in the center of the baggie, put the hive tops back on, and that's it.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...