Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Top Bar Hive in my Future!

This weekend should be sunny and warm. I am cleaning and painting hive boxes on Saturday.

Then on Sunday, my multi-talented son-in-law, Jeff, is going to help me build a top bar hive a la Sam Comfort and Phil Chandler. I am so excited. I have downloaded Phil's plans and am set to buy wood. Tomorrow I hit Home Depot for the supplies and then on Sunday we will go to Jeff's father's workshop where there is a table saw and a router. Whoo hoo!

I don't know where the bees will come from to go into this top bar hive, but I plan to be on a swarm list and perhaps a hive of bees will find me.

4 comments:

  1. I hope it stays warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love your TB Linda, I get an enormous amount of pleasure from watching the bees in mine and knowing I am keeping them in as close as their natural habitat as possible. I am having 3 more TB`s built at the moment, another for me with a longer window in the back and 2 to put on an organic farm not far from here.
    I hope it is getting close to spring for you, very hot and humid here, I can`t wait for autumn . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,

    I put some of your blog posts in the latest Apis Newsletter http://home.ezezine.com/1636_2/. I also like Phil Chandler's take on top bars.

    Malcolm the Weight Guesser in Georgia
    http://apis.shorturl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out, Malcolm. I enjoyed meeting you in Florida and seeing you again so soon at GBA.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...