I moved the top bars - first to make room for the queen cage (took out one bar) and second to make room for the bees (took out about three bars). I brought two jars of sugar syrup and Boardman feeders to put in the hive - don't think I remembered to take pictures.
On the edge of the hive were these bees still left from the hive who was installed (swarm) and then absconded the next day. I sprayed them with sugar water.
The package still looks good after all of its travel. You can see in the picture below that there are very few dead bees on the bottom of the package. I also sprayed these girls with sugar syrup and they quieted down immediately.
I tacked the queen cage to the third bar in and replaced the top bar above it.
I then dumped the bees from the package into the top bar hive.
I had the camera on a tripod and didn't get a great picture.
I replaced all the top bars, pulled the cork out of the entry on the side of the hive, placed the package in front of the hive entry, returned the bricks to the top of the hive and crossed my fingers. The bees seemed to be orienting as I left.
I've installed nucs and swarms, but these were my first package installs. It was so easy. I know it's a bunch of bees who aren't sisters and who aren't related to the queen, but they seemed happy, nonetheless. We'll see what Paul Harvey used to call "The Rest of the Story." I hope it's a good one.
Don's bees seemed quite wonderful, the installs went well, and the bees seemed glad to be in the spaces both at Rabun County and in East Atlanta. I have a lot of hope for both of these hives.