Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Nectar Flow has Begun - The Tulip Poplar is in Bloom!


With the bloom of the tulip poplar, the nectar flow begins in Georgia. My neighborhood is full of tulip poplar trees. I have several in my yard. This lovely branch is in front of one of my neighbor's houses, dipping down and showing the large and lovely bloom. The bees must think they are in heaven, diving into the nectar in these blooms.



In another sign of spring, the house finch that has nested in a corner of my carport has hatched her babies and they are about ready to leave the nest. Here are two of the babies waiting to learn to fly. I didn't get a great picture because I was scared to stay too long or get too close. To keep them happy, I haven't turned on my carport light all spring long and have turned off my security light that is right on the other side of the wall at the back of their nest.

Last year chickadees occupied this nest. This year there are these house finches.



And every night a barred owl calls out "Who cooks for you?" into the night outside my window in the trees.

Spring is in full force in Atlanta!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. I have poplars, but the blooms are waaaaaaaaaaaay up high as the trees are very tall! I love your description of the barred owl. I am glad spring is here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love the pic of the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, thank you. I likewise love the Spring, especially when the days are clear, warm and calm. The bees and I enjoy the same weather. My bees have been flying in with their little saddlebags loaded with pollen and only need the slightest warm day to be encouraged out of the hive to forage. I'm anticipating a great honey harvest this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love the photos. Spring is my favorite time of year. I know those Tulip Poplar's will be a wonderful source of yummy sweetness for the bees. :) I'd love to hear the owl - I've never heard a barred owl's call. Also, I bet you are going to have so much fun watching those house finches rear their young. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...