Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Friday, May 11, 2007

Here's the new hive

Here's the new hive (Picasa wouldn't let me use four pictures in the last post for some reason). It's the small hive with no cinder blocks and a flower pot on its top. If the rain quits before I go to bed, I'm going to move this hive to a location about 6 feet across from where it currently is. I can't work the hive where it is without standing in the flight path of Proteus and Bermuda.


The people on the bee forum groups say that if I move the hive, I should put grass in the entry way so that the bees think a branch has fallen across their entrance and they will need to re-orient before flying tomorrow.

We really need the rain in Atlanta, but I want it to stop just enough for me to move this hive....and I forgot to get cinder blocks but I have some bricks in my carport and they will probably do.

I think I'll name this hive Aristaeus for the Greek god of bees. Aristaeus was a great contributor to his world. Among other things,

"Aristaeus is one of the most beneficent divinities in ancient mythology: he was worshipped as the protector of flocks and shepherds, of vine and olive plantations ; he taught men to hunt and keep bees, and averted from the fields the burning heat of the sun and other causes of destruction..." quote from the page in the link above.

Also Aristaeus is the Latin translation of the word and the same webpage goes on to say,
"His name either derives from the word aristos, the most excellent or useful, or from astraios, the starry one."

I think it is fitting since it will most excellent for me to have four hives instead of three and this hive essentially fell from the stars!

Beekeepers think that May is a great time to get a swarm. There's an old beekeeper's saying:

A swarm in May is worth a load of hay
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon
A swarm in July — let them fly


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...