Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Small Hive Beetle

When I opened Proteus A today, the small hive beetle trap had totally unalluring lure in it. The lure had completely dried up in our 103 degree weather over the last few days.

I removed the traps from all the hives and replaced the lure with juicy fresh alluring stuff in the bottle caps. In the corner where the SHB trap was, I found this collection of small hive beetles. I squashed many of them with my hive tool (see dead bodies in second picture)

I replaced the dried up lure in the third picture with new lure and put it all back together again. Maybe next week the beetles will be in the trap and not in the corner!

Bermuda, BTW, had about 20 beetles dead in the trap. I replaced their lure as well.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. My sonny and mel trap lost its vigor after a couple of days. I took it out on Saturday and still only a count of 10 beetles. The count was 10 a week ago as well. I still had some liquid but obviously it lost its potency. I still have alot of beetles but I did squish alot of them when I inspected the hive on Sat. I installed a West Small Hive beetle trap and pulled out the S & M trap. I will let that sit for a few weeks and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I have enjoyed your posts! I will be moving back to MN to begin beekeeping with several hives in the Spring. Here is the kind of SHB trap I will be using, filled with 1/8" mineral oil. Page down to see how effective it is. I think you could adapt what you have to do this. fold the corners of the metal to make a leak-proof tray. : http://www.greenbeehives.com/ipk-small-hive-beetle-trap-assembled-unpainted.html

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...