Welcome - Explore my Blog

There are over 1200 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here. Along the way, I've passed a number of certification levels and am now a!
Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper.

Want to Pin this post?

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Queenless Hives: What to do? What to do?

Today I had an opportunity to check on the L hive which was queenless on April 11. That afternoon I added a frame of brood and eggs from my friend Julia's strongest hive. I hoped that this would help them make a replacement queen.

Today I looked at all the frames and there is no sign of a laying queen. If they had made a queen from one of the eggs from Julia, they should have a queen within 14 - 16 days. She would need about five days to get her act together, orient to the hive, and then it would be time for her mating flight. So she could be potentially mating as we speak or they could have not been successful.

The hive wasn't angry, but they had no eggs and brood.

In these two pictures are both sides of the frame of brood and eggs that I put in the hive on the 11th. You can see opened queen cells - two on the first side of the frame.


And three more on the second side of the frame. That they are all opened, some in the above picture, with the sides ripped out, might indicate that one of the queen cells was a success. They certainly tried with that many emergency cells, although it's typical for them to try to make about 6 cells in these cases.


In Aristaeus2 I had put two frames of brood and eggs in that hive about a week ahead of the L hive - one from Mellona and one from the swarm hive. Then about 10 days ago, I added a third frame of brood and eggs in case the first queen had not worked out. I saw a beautiful queen cell in this hive from the first frame of brood and eggs that I gave them. So below you can see the insurance frame that I put in 10 days ago from the swarm hive. They simply capped the worker brood and did not use any of the many eggs for queen cells.

This would argue that they had successfully made a new queen but again there was no brood in the hive. That queen should have been laying about a week but her mating flight may have been delayed by the stormy weather over the weekend.


We are in the middle of the nectar flow and I can't stand it not to have these two hives doing well. As a matter of fact, my only at-home hive that is doing well is the swarm that showed up and moved in on Easter.

So I called this man who raises queens. I see him every Saturday at the Peachtree Road Farmer's Market He is bringing me two queens to buy on Saturday. I don't know what I'll do with them if these two hives take off over this week!

Meanwhile, I know help is on the way on Saturday. At worst I'll make a small split into my medium nuc and let any unneeded queen have a home there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...