Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, June 20, 2010

News and Views from the Top Bar Hive

Doesn't the green look lovely with the grass in Valerie and Jeff's back yard? Topsy's bees were flying in and out contentedly when I arrived. They seemed happy.

I donned my bee jacket and opened up the top of the hive.




The bees had built out to about 1/3 of the box. They seemed to have used the top bars well. This top bar is the last built out top bar in the hive.



The top bar just next to it was solid brood and looked so good. I'm excited that they are doing well and building up. Hip Hip Hooray!
I only pulled two bars - they are living happily in the hive and doing well. Since it is exceedingly hot in Atlanta right now, I opened up the cork-stopped side opening to give them a little air circulation and another door.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Your photography is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, your girls look gorgeous! So happy this is doing well for them and for you!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...