Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Trading Spaces - Bee Style

The Easter hive has been overwhelmingly successful ever since they arrived on Easter Sunday. The hive is full of honey and so many bees. I made a split from the hive to replace my L hive and the split is doing well.

Mellona, on the other hand, came weakly through the winter and has been slow to build up. Mellona has a queen who continues to lay well, but they are still in two boxes and the third is full of empty frames.

Today I decided to trade spaces, moving the Easter bees into Mellona's spot and vice versa. The bees were so unhappy that I was doing this. Easter bees spilled out everywhere and I was swirling in bees.

In the end the move did take place and both hives calmed down.  Interestingly I got stung about four times on my right thigh as I moved the biggest boxes from Easter.  In the past at night those places would be swollen and itchy.  In reality, five years into this, I can't find the places on my leg where I was stung tonight!



The bees who were bearding at the Easter hive did not move with the boxes, and I was scared they would kill the Mellona queen. I posted about this on Beemaster and was reassured that the queen is surrounded by her own nurse bees in the brood box and the foragers aren't likely to be interested in killing her. They are just confused.



So below is how the two hives looked at 5 PM.


Now at 10 PM you can see the thick beard of Easter bees on Mellona and a collection in front of the new Easter location as well. We'll hope for the best and see what happens as the new location becomes a reality for foragers tomorrow.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...